Monday, July 15, 2013

Beauty Through The Decades: 50's!





It's that time of the week again! Beauty Through The Decades. This week is the 50's and my guest blogger is Stephanie from Elegant Rebel Beauty! Let's just jump right in with Stephanie's look!


Stephanie said  "My initial plan when I snagged the 50's was to go with the iconic Marilyn Monroe look, but the more I thought about it the more I realized what an obvious choice that was, and I wanted to do something a little more unexpected.
I chose this Lucille Ball look, which was a promo for her classic show I love Lucy. The show first aired in 1951, and Lucille's portrayal of a strong-willed, mischievous housewife with a penchant for slapstick humour catapulted her into super-stardom. 
She made such amazing headway for TV actresses in wife roles, who up until then were cast to basically just stand there in the kitchen and look pretty. She was outspoken and funny, which was such a huge and courageous statement for a woman to make at that time. It also doesn't hurt that her flaming red locks make her my ginger sister!"


Get The Look

Face: She applied Revlon colorstay whipped creme makeup in ivory, in two coats, to get that flawless, matte finish, followed by Painted Earth HD concealer in fair. 

Eyes: She started with an off white matte (Painted earth mineral eye shadow in Toast) all over her lid to her brow bone. She added Painted earth mineral eye shadow in polished copper over the lid halfway to the brow bone. In a windshield wiper motion, she added a medium matte brown (Key botanicals mineral shadow in Hazel) to just above her natural crease, to create a higher, exaggerated crease. She then added Chickaboom jet set gel liner in black to her upper lash line, very thin from the outer corners and gradually thickening the outer half. She swept Hazel on the outer half of my lower lash line. Quo falsies and Painted Earth super lash mascara in black finished the eyes!

Brows: She drew thin, high arches with big curves, using Painted Earth super wear felt tip brow liner in blonde.

Cheeks: just a little sweep of Painted Earth baked blush in Rose Gold for subtle rosiness. 

Lips: She drew a heart shape, adding two half circles above my upper lip, and a larger half circle on my lower lip, avoiding portions of the lower lip on each side, which she had applied concealer to (to make my bottom lip look longer and more narrow, which creates the bottom of the heart shape). She used Essence lip liner in Red blossom. Then she added Essence lipstick in Red carpet.

Doesn't she just look gorgeous?! Absolutely love the heart shape effect she did with her lips!

Make sure to head on over to Elegant Rebel Beauty to check out Stephanie!

I just want to apologize now for my photos. I have been EXTREMELY busy to the point where I almost forgot to do my look :/ I didn't have a lot of time to do my look and take pictures so they aren't the greatest and I feel bad.  

When I was thinking of my 50's look I had no idea what I wanted to do. Stephanie sent my a picture of Liz Taylor so that was the look I was going to try and recreate! It was out of my comfort zone because of all the eyeliner. I can't wear that much eyeliner because my eyes look extremely small and weird! 

I used a thin coat of the Rimmel London Clean Finish Foundation in Soft Honey. I used the black  e.l.f. cream liner to line my upper and lower lash line and my water line. My eyelashes are naturally pretty long so I applied a few coats of my Wet N Wild Megalength mascara to enhance them.The one thing I was happy to see what Liz's thick eyebrows! It was very easy for me to do that since my eyebrows are already pretty thick! I use the e.l.f. brow kit in dark to fill in and shape my brows. Lastly for the red lips I used the Wet N Wild megalast lipstick in Red Velvet. 

I again want to apologize for my photos!

I also want to thank Stephanie for being apart of the series! I loved your look. Make sure to visit her blog Elegant Rebel Beauty.

Next week we will be visiting the 60's with another guest blogger!

Til Next Post!

4 comments:

  1. Yay!! I love your look, you are gorgeous! It was wonderful to be part of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both look so cute ^^,Love the rounded brows, Stephanie. By the way, Ally, in general if you feel eyeliner makes your eyes look small - from what I can see you're wearing it on the inner rim - I find using a peachy shade or white here instead of a darker one, or simply don't line the inner rim, keeping it along the lashline and blening it into a softer, shimmery shade opens up the eye a somewhat. Ah, but the intensity of Elizabeth Taylor's purple eyes is hard to achieve. All that being said, You still look great, and it's probably only weird for you as you're not used to seeing yourself wearing a look like that. The bright lip took some getting used to when I first decided I needed red lipstick in my life. I always figured it made my lips look so small. Now I like to think of it as the enhancer it is. And it was the same with the smokey eye, though these days I'll wear it daytime and partytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the 50's looks :D you girls are amazing, Ally your idea was so briliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha you both look amazing don't worry! I know what you mean though with work, my mom's accident, my horses and having tons of family in town the last couple of weeks my life has been crazy and it's been hard to find time to blog! But don't worry I am about to email you my look...just want to warn you that I feel the same way about my look as you did this week haha <3

    ReplyDelete